Friday, December 18, 2009

A Trip Down Memory Lane...The Engagement

On the 4th of July, Justin and I were due to go eat dinner at Saltgrass then go to downtown Houston to watch the fireworks show. There were a few hints that could have tipped me off that that was the night he was going to propose (such as the fact that he actually made reservations for dinner...or the fact that he was trying REALLY hard to make sure I was in a very good mood!) but I didn't want to believe that that was actually the night because I didn't want to be disappointed if it didn't happen.

While we were out to dinner and watching fireworks, my dear friend Heather was kind enough to come down from College Station and follow all of Justin's very intricate plans and diagrams of how to set everything up.


Justin knows I love Christmas, so the plan was to recreate Christmas in July! As we drove up to my apartment building, I was a little thrown off because there were lantern lights hanging on my balcony, which weren't there before we left...I thought I was hallucinating a little bit because the apartment next to mine has similar lights so I was trying to figure out if I was looking at the right one. And then a short dialogue followed:

Kacy: "Is that my apartment?"
Justin: "Yes..."
Kacy: "What is going on here?"
Justin: "I don't know..." (grinning)

I still didn't want to give in and believe it was actually happening so I just got out and started walking up the stairs. Justin says now he was very nervous since I wasn't excited or anything. When I opened the door, though...talk about excitement! My Christmas tree was set up, there were icicle lights hung all around the room, tons of candles everywhere, and beautiful bouquets.


Under the tree was my ring, beautifully wrapped in my favorite color. I didn't see it, though, because the coffee table was in the way, so Justin prompted things along and asked, "What's that under the tree?" I said, "It better be what I think it is!" (STILL, somehow, thinking it was probably some 25 cent plastic thing and this was all a decoy to keep me guessing when it would actually happen...I'm a little dense!) So I sat down and opened the gift box and saw the most exquisite ring...Then Justin got down on his knee and asked me to be his wife. And I said, "Yes! Yes! A thousand times YES!"



And now I get the best of both worlds--a "Christmas" engagement AND a Christmas wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are my love language. Along with Dr. Pepper, pizza, The Office, the color lime green, pumpkin muffies, hot chocolate...But the only one of those that's free is comments! So you're getting off easy if you leave me one (or two or three!)

Funky Chunky Fall