If you know me very well at all, you probably know that I get sick. A lot.
Darn kids. The only thing my students share freely is their sick germs. If I could teach them to be that generous with other things, I would have 36 philanthropists on my hands. But, alas...that's not the case. Baby steps, I guess.
The sickness has been creeping up on me all week...started with the scratchy throat...then a runny nose...feeling tired and drained...then yesterday-BAM! It all came to the surface. It actually served as a great inferencing lesson for my students. I was sneezing incessantly, coughing up a lung, and sounding like a very nasally male singer (p.s. Try saying the spelling word "noon" and have people understand you. Virtually impossible.), and one of my students still asked, "Mrs. Bunte, are you sick?" [....insert pause while I consider how to make this a teachable moment rather than just saying 'Duh.'] Rather, I said, "Let's be a detective and make an inference--that's like a prediction or a guess--what are your clues that would make you think I'm sick?" I'm not sure I'll be turning out any private investigators from my third grade class.
Despite being sick, I have still managed to hold on to my appetite. Case in point: we went to Chick-fil-a last night. It was one of these moments: "Yeah, I'll have a large bowl of chicken noodle soup, some fries, a Dr. Pepper, and a chocolate shake...[looks at other person]...Oh, did you want something, too?"
I also haven't lost my sense of humor to my sickness. For example, we've been planning to have our [first ever] Christmas card pictures taken by my friend Amanda. It's been planned for over a month. Rather than cancel due to the fact that it's not unlikely that I'll have snot running down my face or be holding a kleenex in my hand in every shot, I'm delighting in the fact that our Christmas cards will be extremely spirited because (after countless sneezes and nose-blowings), our picture will look a little something like this:

(That's me on the right. Cute, eh?)
In other news, I learned a very valuable life lesson. Just because the Great Value (Wal-Mart brand) of Kleenex is in the cuter box and slightly cheaper: Don't. Do It.
In a related story, Wal-Mart has come out with a high-quality sand paper product. It is packaged in a cute box and can be found in the tissue section of the store.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are my love language. Along with Dr. Pepper, pizza, The Office, the color lime green, pumpkin muffies, hot chocolate...But the only one of those that's free is comments! So you're getting off easy if you leave me one (or two or three!)