Sunday, February 14, 2010

WARNING: This post may cause some ladies to become jealous.

I'm not much of a fan of Valentine's Day. I'm not against it, per se. Just indifferent. But it serves as the perfect excuse to brag on my husband.

I hit the jackpot when it comes to husbands. I'm still amazed he likes me, much less like-likes me (in elementary land, this is a legitimate phrase). Ever read the 5 Love Languages book? My love language changes all the time. Sometimes I can cycle through all 5 in a day. And he somehow still manages to love me well.
  • He often doesn't love me because of me, but in spite of me.
  • He loves me when I'm unlovable. And not cute. And when I have morning breath. Or when I have a cold and cough all through the night. Like I have for the past week.
  • He is the kindest person I've ever met.
  • He can always make me laugh with his impressions of Holly Hunter, the bird on our porch, and the old southern black woman. You'd laugh, too.
  • He serves me daily by fixing my breakfast and lunch and always brings me a glass of water at bedtime, runs me bubble baths, and scratches my back so I can fall asleep faster.
  • He is so generous with his time and skills and compliments.
  • He checks the mail and goes to the post office and bank for me and doesn't make me call places because he knows I loathe doing those things.
  • He is very handy at doing things around the house like tiling and plumbing and isn't above doing the dishes or laundry or cleaning. In fact, he's much more disciplined than I am when it comes to things like that. And he doesn't say anything (very often :) about my mountain of shoes or clothes strewn about or the millions of water bottles and granola bar wrappers piled up in my car (see number 1: loving me in spite of me.) And when he does say something it's because I need to hear it. Tough love.
  • Speaking of tough love, I admire him greatly for his ability to have gentle, but firm conversations about tough topics that need to be discussed.
  • He takes me to countless meals at Olive Garden and chick flicks without [too much] complaining.
  • He strives to be better, is always willing to learn new things, and isn't proud or pretentious.
  • He's a great driver.
  • And a great guitar player.
  • And singer.
  • And robot-dancer.
  • And husband.
  • He's like a real-live adult. I want to be like him when I grow up.
So, Justy, this is for you:


1 comment:

  1. This makes my heart feel all warm and fuzzy - I love you two :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my love language. Along with Dr. Pepper, pizza, The Office, the color lime green, pumpkin muffies, hot chocolate...But the only one of those that's free is comments! So you're getting off easy if you leave me one (or two or three!)

Funky Chunky Fall