Saturday, December 11, 2010

Origami Star Ornaments

It seems like every where I turn, someone is asking me to bring an ornament to some sort of holiday event. Rather than purchase ornaments, I decided to go homemade. I was inspired to make these when I received some from my mother-in-law's students awhile back. They made theirs out of wrapping paper, which is just as cute. Since I'm a once-upon-a-time-scrapbooker, I have a ton of leftover scrapbooking paper that I wanted to put to good use. I also have a ton (literally--about 6 dozen) of those glass ornaments, which are super cheap at Hobby Lobby.

To start, cut strips of paper down to about this size:


Then fold them into origami stars using instructions such as these. The first couple may take practice, but once you get it down, it will be oh. so. simple.

Here are some that I made:
Aren't they so cute!? I love to use brightly colored, festive paper.

I use about one 12x12 sheet of scrapbooking paper per ornament. I could probably stand to put a few more in, but...I don't. Slip your stars into the glass ornaments. The color and design of the paper can change the entire look. You could go for 'cutesy' or elegant or with a color scheme. So many options! So little money! I think the ornaments are about $4.00 for a dozen, using a 40% off coupon (a lot of times, they're 50% off even). A sheet of scrapbooking paper is about 50 cents. Add in the tiny bit of ribbon and that's approximately $1.00 per ornament! Add some cute ribbon to the hook and voila! The perfect ornament for an exchange or for your own tree!


2 comments:

  1. Those. Are. THE. Cutest. Things. EVER!!

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun new take on the clear ornament! I've never tried my hand at origami, but with a love of pretty paper, it should definitely go on the list! :>

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my love language. Along with Dr. Pepper, pizza, The Office, the color lime green, pumpkin muffies, hot chocolate...But the only one of those that's free is comments! So you're getting off easy if you leave me one (or two or three!)

Funky Chunky Fall