Monday, January 16, 2012

When Life Gives You Marshmallows...

make hot chocolate!

My wonderful teaching partner, Jaime, and I generously gave (ahem...bribed) our students with hot chocolate the day before Christmas break started. I was left with quite a few marshmallows and didn't want them to go to waste. So I went to work on making quick & inexpensive gifts that could utilize the marshmallows.

I combined several ideas that I found on blogs & Pinterest. What came of it was homemade hot chocolate mix, marshmallows, and a chocolate covered spoon that melts when you stir the hot chocolate! Delightful.

I started by making the chocolate covered spoons so they could begin "drying." All I did was melt milk chocolate chips in the microwave (go 10 seconds at a time on power 5. They will melt quickly and scorch even quicker!) Then I drizzled the chocolate onto the spoons. Afterward, I put colored sprinkles, chocolate sprinkles, and crushed candy canes on top.


I made homemade hot chocolate mix (recipe here), put them zip-less ziplocs, tied a ribbon on top and gave them away!

Great for the taste buds and didn't break the bank!

2 comments:

Comments are my love language. Along with Dr. Pepper, pizza, The Office, the color lime green, pumpkin muffies, hot chocolate...But the only one of those that's free is comments! So you're getting off easy if you leave me one (or two or three!)

Funky Chunky Fall