Sunday, October 14, 2012

The House Chronicles - Volume 1 - "I kind of have an itch..."

I want to write all this down so I don't forget it in the future. Because how we came to be in our new house is quite the tale. It has the perfect amount of whimsy, suspense, shock-and-awe, comedy, heartbreak, joy, and (what I deem to be) miracles. So this is the first installment (in what may very well be a 43-part installment) about our new home.

It all started innocently enough one night in May...

Justin and I were in bed, chatting about this and that. Nothing of great importance. I think we were discussing what projects we might like to complete on the house next. We worked feverishly on the house for the first year and then took a two-ish year hiatus because we were so dang tired from working and coming home to projects. I'm on record as saying long before this that anything left to be done would probably only get done if we decided to move. That, my friends, is what we called foreshadowing.

So somewhere in the midst of this conversation, Justin [again, innocently enough] said, "I kind of have an itch to move."

And then my thought process went a little something like, "Wait. What? Move? Let me think about it... [Pause 2 seconds] Okay, let's see what we can find on HAR!" I didn't need much convincing.

Which, using my best inference skills, led Justin to have a thought process of a little something like, "Crap. What have I done."

So I immediately begin a search on HAR (the Houston Real Estate website) and I see there is a house in a neighborhood across the street from where we lived at the time. We know some people that live in the neighborhood, so I was familiar with it. And by "familiar with it," I mean I had lusted, drooled, oohed-and-aahed over this neighborhood since the first time I laid eyes on it. Really, it's unlike anything you've ever seen. Unless, of course, you've seen this particular neighborhood. But, if that's the case, then you know exactly what I mean. The houses are so cute & quaint. When you hear the words "white picket fence" these are probably the types of houses that pop into your head. Let me just show you:


Cute and quaint. Am I right? I'm right.

Anyway, so I saw the house online and I just...knew. I take that back. I didn't just know. I knew. It was just like with our first house--we didn't look at another single, solitary home. That was the one we wanted. And I knew it with this one, too. Our first house was good to us. It was a great starter home. I knew we wouldn't be there forever. 

But this house? This house was our forever home.

To be continued in The House Chronicles - Volume 2 - "The Five Hour Fight about our Forever Home"

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are back! Can't wait for Volume 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So....I forgot you had moved and mailed your birth announcement. It came back to us. :(

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my love language. Along with Dr. Pepper, pizza, The Office, the color lime green, pumpkin muffies, hot chocolate...But the only one of those that's free is comments! So you're getting off easy if you leave me one (or two or three!)

Funky Chunky Fall