Saturday, February 2, 2013

The House Chronicles - Volume 4 - "ON the Market"

So we met Pam, love at first sight, Girl Scout Cookies, Dr. Pepper, etc. etc. We obviously chose her to be our realtor (it was a little awkward to break the news to the other lady...particularly since we still had to work with her to buy our forever home...) Within a week, our house was on the market. I was beyond excited. We had renovated almost everything in our house and I thought it looked goooood. At least compared to what it originally looked like. There were still some things that needed to be worked on, but we thought it was nicely priced to reflect the completed renovations while still leaving wiggle room for the stuff that still needed work. Anyway, I don't know what I was expecting when the house officially went "live" on the real estate website...Actually, I do know what I was expecting. I was certain everyone in the greater Houston area was going to see our house, immediately fall in love and ask to come see it. Any sane person might could have imagined this would not be the case. But I've never claimed to fall into the "sane" category. Ergo, I was expecting the phone to be ringing off the hook. Alas, no.

I waited...and waited...the house went on the market on a Friday. We left Sunday to go to a summer camp where Justin was leading worship. And still, I waited...and waited...Come Wednesday, there was still no word from Pam and I was really discouraged. That day, we were going golfing with some other guys from the band. While on the golf course, I was having some inner dialogue with myself about my disappointment. I felt this really compelling urge to pray about it. This might seem natural and it probably should have been for me, but it's probably important to note here that I had been going through a little prayer drought. And by "little," I mean years. I had no desire to pray. So this sudden urge was very strange. But there was a little voice inside that said, "Just ask me. All you have to do is ask." So...I gave it a shot. What could it hurt, right? So I prayed that we would get a showing for the house. And...when we got back in the car, I checked my phone and had a request for a showing! Let me pick my jaw up off the floor. I was so excited! And it intrigued me a little that I had asked and received. But the drought wasn't over. Having that prayer answered was more like a little mist. Refreshing, but not long-lasting.

The next day, we got a request for another showing. More excitement! We got home from the camp Thursday and Friday I prepared to get out of the house while it was being showed. My sister and kids happened to be in The Woodlands, so I was going to play with them at their hotel pool. It's about a 45-minute drive to get there. On the way, I was anxious about the showings and again--I felt that little voice inside that said, "Just ask me. All you have to do is ask, remember?" I did remember the prayer that had been answered, but was still a little skeptical. But I figured it was worth a shot. So, in my car alone, I prayed out loud, "God...I asked for a showing and you gave it to me. Now I'm asking for an offer on our house."

Would you believe me if I told you that my phone rang that instant with a call from Pam? I don't care if you believe me, that's what happened. You might can guess what she had to say..."We have an offer on the house!"

The only phrase I could get out of my mouth was "Shut. Up." Eloquent, I know. But I was in awe of what God had done. So much for a drought! I think my tears took care of that!

Stay tuned for the next edition of The House Chronicles titled "OFF The Market!"

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving your house chronicles! Thanks for not leaving us hanging for very long (this time)...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my love language. Along with Dr. Pepper, pizza, The Office, the color lime green, pumpkin muffies, hot chocolate...But the only one of those that's free is comments! So you're getting off easy if you leave me one (or two or three!)

Funky Chunky Fall