I did some math the other day (which is dangerous in itself) and calculated that I hadn't run in 3 year. Yikes. That's longer than I've been waiting for my window seat!
I'd heard about a plan called Couch to 5K and have been wanting to do it for awhile, but I hate (HATE) running in the cold, so I was waiting for warmer weather. I chose last Tuesday to start and it went really well! I really like the program because it breaks it down to make it achievable and helps me to not overdo it too soon. I even downloaded the app on my iPhone so a lady tells me when to walk and when to run. If you're interested in the Couch to 5K program, you can find the workout regimen here. All three days I've done it have been great! That's not to say it's been perfect--I've had a few hiccups here and there.
For example, Thursday my ponytail got loose and I needed to tighten it. I don't have one of those nifty running holders (though I now intend to get one after today!) so I just have to hold my phone in my hand. To tighten my ponytail, I needed both hands, so I briefly stuck my phone in the waist of my pants. Unfortunately, it quickly slipped down my pants and right down my leg. It was attached to my earbuds, so it stopped before coming out and splatting on the ground, but that also means it was hanging in limbo inside my pants. Of course this couldn't have happened during the long stretch where no one was outside or driving by--it all happened right as I was passing by some neighbors so I couldn't exactly stick my hands down my pants to get it out. The neighborhood watch party would have wanted posters up for me if I did that. So from the outside, I had to skooch (yes, skooch) it up my leg and out the top again.
That little incident directly led to another little setback. The first week of the program has you alternately walk for 90 seconds, run for 60 seconds. I was on the running portion of it when my phone fell down my pants so I was running...and running...and running...and running some more when I finally got wise and thought, "This is the longest 60 seconds of my LIFE!" It was then that I looked at my phone and realized I must have accidentally paused it while I was skooching it back up my leg.
I'll leave you with a little tip I've picked up this week: Don't eat 3 brownies before you go running.
Just my [expert] opinion.

lol you crack me up!!!
ReplyDeleteBah-hahahaha! Oh, I miss you. I NEED TO START RUNNING AGAIN!!
ReplyDelete